Senior Attorney, Health Law
The University of Texas System
The University of Texas System Office of General Counsel seeks an experienced attorney to provide advice, counsel, and representation on health-related matters.
The selected candidate will join the Health Law practice group and report to the Senior Associate General Counsel & Managing Attorney for Health Law. Within the legal oversight responsibilities delegated by the Board of Regents to the Vice Chancellor & General Counsel, the candidate will provide legal advice, representation and counsel on health-related matters.
- · Oversee and manage health-related claims and litigation against UT institutions, physicians and other providers covered by the UT System Professional Medical Liability Benefit Plan, which is operated and administered by the Office of General Counsel.
- · On behalf of the Plan, appoint and manage outside counsel, and manage representation provided by the Texas Attorney General's Office.
- · Communicate with institutional legal and risk management offices, physicians and medical staff.
- · Mediate and negotiate settlements.
- · Manage complaints against physicians by the Texas Medical Board and/or other regulatory agencies.
- · Provide oversight, legal advice and counsel related to general health law operational and regulatory matters, health care policies and procedures, rules, regulations and legislation.
- · With assistance of other OGC attorneys as needed, provide agile legal advice and representation on a broad range of topics, with particular emphasis on health law matters, transactions, administrative and tort law.
- · Interpret, review and revise administrative policies; review and advise on proposed legislation.
- · Conduct legal research and investigation; provide written recommendations and memoranda.
- · Communicate regularly with clients, colleagues and supervisors.
- · Work both independently and collaboratively, with a strong orientation toward teamwork. Attend work regularly.
- · Travel out of town and overnight, as required.
- · Perform other duties as assigned.
- · Graduation from a law school accredited by the American Bar Association.
- · Admission to Texas Bar, or for out-of-state applicants licensed in another jurisdiction, Admission without Examination within one year of hire.
- · At least 5 years’ experience as a licensed attorney.
- · Effective written/oral communication skills and ability to manage a broad range of complex issues in a collaborative environment.
- · Experience in litigation and evaluation of health care claims.
- · Experience in health law operations and regulations, particularly in an academic health setting.
To view the posting and apply, please visit https://www.utsystem.edu/offices/human-resources/prospective-employees/career-opportunities. With any questions, please contact Allene Evans at firstname.lastname@example.org.